CARMA Short Courses
Short Courses Overview
Each CARMA short course is typically a 20 hours session on a research method or data analysis topic. CARMA Short Courses place an emphasis on hands-on experience and on the application of the methodology aimed at skills development through equal amount of lecture and lab-time. Instructors are leading methodological scholars recognized within the organizational studies and management areas as experts on their topics. Several are current or past editors of leading organizational journals. A list of CARMA Short Courses includes introductory and advanced training on quantitative and qualitative topics, including content that might not be readily available at your institution. In addition, our short courses provide students and faculty with the opportunity to network with leading scholars and other students/faculty in their areas of interest. More than 1,200 faculty and students from universities throughout the world have attended CARMA Short Courses since the summer of 2004. Past locations of these courses include Virginia and Michigan in the United States, as well as Canada, Peru, Brazil, Australia, India, The Netherlands, Singapore, Germany, United Kingdom, Israel, and China.
Upcoming Short Courses
We will be offering new Short Courses in our collection of upcoming courses, including Mixed Methods and quantitative courses on Within Person Research. Our other quantitative courses include sequences across both sessions on introductory/ advanced data analysis with R, introductory/advanced SEM, introductory/advanced multi-level analysis, big data and analysis of big data. Also available are courses that cover Systematic Reviews/Meta-Analysis, Bayesian Analysis, Advanced Regression Polynomial/Response Surface Methods, Web Scraping, Theory, Methods, and Analysis for Research with Dyads, and Questionnaire Design. Our qualitative offerings include new courses on Introduction to Ethnography, Qualitative Comparative Analysis, Case Study Methods. Other qualitative courses cover Advanced Methods for Micro and Macro Management and Grounded Theory, Mixed Methods, and Qualitative Analysis for Organizational Change, Crafting High-Quality Research via a Phronetic Iterative Approach, Video Methods, and Content Analysis of Text. See below for specific courses and dates.
New Live On-Line Short Courses
Our upcoming program will deliver the courses on-line via the CARMA Global Virtual Classroom using Zoom. These courses will be offered using a synchronous approach, with instructors providing live (video and audio) lecture and Q&A sessions. Instructors will also lead assignment sessions, during which participants can choose to join breakout rooms to collaborate with a small group of course-mates (using screen-share, video/audio communication, and/or text chat. There would be no recordings made by CARMA of the live sessions, and participants will not be allowed to record any sessions themselves. Unlike CARMA’s Webcast Program, which is based on group viewing, with our On-Line Short Courses only individual access and participation is allowed (no group viewing).
Our goal with our new on-line approach is to emulate as much as possible the in-person short course experience that we have used so successfully since 2001. We hope our on-line delivery will be more practical and economical for participants by allowing them to avoiding travel to locations beyond their community. For participants not familiar with use of Zoom, training will be provided at no-charge prior to the Short Courses. CARMA has considerable experience with live on-line events, and we look forward to extending our use of this delivery format through our Global Virtual Classroom to increase access to our highly-regarded Short Courses.
CARMA Short Course Evaluations
CARMA Short Courses Evaluation Results – January 2022:
Rating Questions (out of 5)
|Information presented was relevant to the topic||4.90|
|Information presented was what you expected||4.52|
|Adequate detail was provided||4.79|
|The instructor was well-prepared||4.93|
|The instructor provided good supporting materials||4.88|
|The instructor effectively handled participants questions||4.81|
|The instructor communicated effectively||4.79|
|Time allocated to cover topics was adequate||4.43|
|Topics were sequenced appropriately||4.69|
|Appropriate exercises examples and material were used to clarify understanding||4.71|
|Asking questions to the instructor was easy||4.90|
|Please rate your satisfaction with the program overall||4.74|
- Info was super practical to get started and also be able to advance in skill independently after the course. The order of the lessons was SO ELEGANT.
- The convenience to meet and how easy it was to ask questions.
- I think the timing of the day was perfect to avoid most of the typical Zoom conference fatigue.
- The exercises provided in the Word document were very helpful – good step-by-step explanations that I can refer to later! I also appreciated the supplemental slides on more advanced topics that the instructor provided for self-learning.
- Occurred over winter break for easier scheduling.
- Examples and materials provided
- He/She was a fabulous instructor. Methods and Data Analysis is something that I do struggle with, but He/She did an amazing job facilitating the course and walking us through the material and exercises.
- The topic of the course I took, it’s relevance to my dissertation at this time, and the way the instructor explained this complex material
- I like that they’re online so that I don’t have to find the time + funding to travel.
- I like his/her professional knowledge on the topic he taught.
- For my course, he/she was really good at getting under the hood and explaining the magic behind the stats. He’s a wealth of knowledge, but where he really shines, is in his ability to articulate what he knows clearly and concisely to the layperson.
- He was an awesome instructor!
- I like that it is online rather than in-person. This makes it much easier for me to attend.
- He/She was a great instructor, and the content is helpful for my research.
- The useful materials and learning resources.
- Broad range of courses
- The interactive assignments
- It was highly accessible and informative.
- Some hands-on experience with the approach and some feedback.
- He/She guided us through the material through telling then giving us a chance to use the skill.
- I appreciated the amount of content and activities covered within the short amount of class time, as well as the discussions made possible by the varying expertise from others in the course.
- The balance between lecture, hands-on practice, and group discussion helped me really grasp what we were learning and learn how to apply it.
- I loved the instructor — very knowledgeable and personable
- Ability to quickly take a course of interest outside of my courses at school
- Open and positive attitude teacher